The Bareiss rubber, elastomeric abrasion tester is used to determine the wear resistance of products such as tires, conveyor belts, hoses, shoes, outdoor coatings, etc.
The instrument operates according to: DIN ISO 4649, NF ISO 4649, ASTM D 5963. ISO 4649: 2010 specifies two methods for determining the abrasion resistance of rubber by means of a rotating cylindrical drum device. The methods are concerned with determining the loss of mass of a rubber test piece due to the abrasive action of rubbing the test piece on a specified abrasive pad.
There are two methods when performing the wear test:
- Method A: for non-rotating test pieces
- Method B: for rotary test piece
For each method, the result can be reported as relative volume loss or abrasion resistance index. The test is carried out on abrasive materials such as tires, belts, conveyor belts, shoe soles.
The test procedure is carried out as follows:
- Turn on the abrasion tester with the POWER button and open the protective cover
- Fix the test specimen on the sample rack and close the protective cap
- The automatic standard abrasive process can be interrupted at any time by pressing the STOP button
- Start the abrasion test by pressing START
- The test is over, the machine will automatically turn off and open the protective cover
- Remove the sample from the rack and reset to the base position
Dimensions of the test piece:Ø16 mm x 6 mm to Ø16 mm x 15 mm
Span length of the test piece: Maximum 13 mm
Clamping force of test piece(standard): 2.5 N; 5.0 N; 7.5 N; 10.0 N
Abrasion path / rotations of the roller: 20 m / 42 R (rotations)- 40 m / 84 R
Speed of rotating test piece: 0.9 RPM
Speed of roller: 40 RPM
Feed: 4.2 mm/R
Peripheral speed: 0.32 m/s
Angle of inclination of sample holder: 3°
Roller diameter: 150 mm
Roller width: 460 mm